Stepney High Street, E1 0NR
There has been Christian worship on this site since at least the early 10th century AD. Apparently this pattern of worship sites being on the roads leading to the river is evident all over the UK. It is now a very busy Anglican church.
The first stone structure was put here in 952, but the current structure was built from 1250 onwards and is regarded as a good example of medieval church architecture with different bits added and replaced over a few hundred years. St Dunstan’s and All Saints is the oldest church in the east end.
Originally All Saints church, when St Dunstan, Bishop of London, was canonised in 1029 his name was added to the church. Fun fact: he is the patron saint of gold and silversmiths.
Keep an eye out for: behind the pulpit, near the organ is an Anglo-Saxon carving that is from the early stone structure of the church. It’s at least 1000 years old!
Some great old pics can be found here
Best nearby: Stepney City Farm, this tiny farm is worth a visit, farmer Simon is very friendly, there’s a cafe and on Saturdays from 10-3 there’s a farmer’s market.